Jewelry by nature is delicate and needs to be cared for appropriately. However, here are a few recommendations to ensure that your jewelry will last forever.
Avoid substances such as perfume & other chemicals to prevent discoloration.
TYPES OF COATINGS
• Gold Plated Mixed Metals: means it has a thin layer of gold. Don't shower with gold plated jewelry, apply lotions / perfume with it on, swim or workout in it. Some pieces may contain brass or silver as the base metal.
• Stainless Steel: highest quality material. Styles plated over stainless steel are non- tarnishing, hypo allergenic and waterproof. You still want to wipe off at the end wearing it with a small jewelry cloth. Will last longer than normal plated items.
• Gold Filled: Thicker coating of gold. Gold filled is an actual layer of gold pressure bonded to another material, usually brass or silver. Gold filled items will wear longer than gold plated pieces but still need some love as these items are not 24k solid gold.
To clean your gold-filled pieces, use a mild jewelry cleaning solution and run under water and pat dry. *Gold filled can still get dull and fade if there is heavy wear, constant perfume/hair chemicals, sea salt water and chlorine are constantly getting on it.
• Sterling Silver: Some styles are plated over .925 sterling silver making them a higher quality than gold plated over brass items. Styles that contain sterling silver will not turn green or brown. They can handle getting wet - however we don't recommend showering with them daily.
TERMINOLOGY TO KNOW
Turning Vs. Fading it’s important to know the correct terminology when it comes to their gems.
• Turning - Your item turned color, rusted, and possibly left your neck or ring fingers green/brown. Yikkes!
• Fading* - When an item starts to lose its color but still looks good and kept up with. Didn't turn green, rust or tarnish.
*Fading can happen to ALL gold-filled jewelry NO matter the brand you buy from.